Sunday, August 01, 2004

Cleaning Out the Cabinets

Last night I dreamt that we were in my kitchen - this woman and I...I don't know who she was really, but she started baptizing my bags of flour with tap water...

Cup after cup, she ladled over top of the open bags.

"Stop!" I screamed at her. "Why are you being so wasteful?!?"

"Can't I use some?" she asked.

"Of course!" I answered. "Just don't ditch it like that! Don't let it go down the drain for no reason...
Let it be a cookie or a cake or a loaf of banana bread or something. I've got some rotten bananas in the freezer that would be perfect. Give it a chance to be useful," I begged.

"Okay," she said, somewhat condescendingly.

She went for the first bag, which had sat in my cupboard for who knows how long. She started dumping it into the sink.

"Wait!" I shouted. "Can you not hear anything I say?"

"I hear you," she said. "But look."

I looked down into the sink full of flour and saw worms and bugs mixed with sawdust! All this time I never knew.

"What else have you been carrying around with you for too long?" she asked. "Perhaps you need to take a closer look."

"I think I'll go clean out my cabinets," I told her.

With that I left the kitchen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home